Free Public Spectacle by Controversial Futurologist and Students Transforms
London Landmark to Encourage a Revolution
- Architectural Association School of Architecture, Bedford Square, London,19:15hrs, Monday 7 November
- Jeremy Rifkin, the controversial world-leading economist, futurologist and activist will present the UK premier of his new theory ‘Third Industrial Revolution’.
- Lecture accompanied by astonishing projection mapping spectacle across the façade of AA School – transforming Bedford Square into a cinema of ideas.
- World leaders praise Rifkin’s new thinking: EU calls for implementation of his ideas that bring together the internet, technology, environment and creative thinking to form a radical new future for humanity.
- Projections by AA School’s Diploma Unit 18, led by Enric Ruiz-Geli.
- Images: http://bit.ly/u6DZA3
The Third Industrial Revolution – lecture by Jeremy Rifkin:
The Industrial Revolution, powered by oil and other fossil fuels, is spiraling into a dangerous endgame. The price of energy and food is climbing, unemployment remains high, the housing market has tanked, consumer and government debt is soaring, and the recovery is slowing. Facing the prospect of a second collapse of the global economy, humanity is desperate for a sustainable economic game plan to take us into the future.
Rifkin will explore how Internet technology and renewable energy are merging to create a powerful five-pillar “Third Industrial Revolution” that will create thousands of businesses and millions of jobs, and usher in a fundamental reordering of human relationships, from hierarchical to lateral power, and will impact the way we conduct business, govern society, educate our children, and engage in civic life.
World leaders, heads of state, and global companies are embracing Rifkin’s vision as an indispensible roadmap to a sustainable future. The European Parliament has issued a formal declaration calling for its implementation, and other nations in Asia, Africa, and the Americas, are quickly preparing their own initiatives for transitioning into the new paradigm. [See quotes for world leaders and milestones below]
The lecture will be broadcast into Bedford Square in a free public spectacle using the façade of the world famous AA School as living example – bringing Rifin’s ideas to life and turning Bedford Square into a remarkable open air lecture theatre free for everyone.
Bedford Square Projections
Below are artist impressions of the huge one-to-one scale projections that will be shown on 7 November and what they illustrate:
Created by AA School Diploma 18 students, led by Enric Ruiz-Geli of the AA School, the beautiful and detailed film projections will animate the building using highly accurate architectural projection mapping technology. Using the AA School as an example the projections will show how Rifkin’s radical new ideas will change our business, cities society and our lives and work. They will show the transformation of the school building from present day to a futuristic, zero emission, intelligent building - a power plant harvesting and creating energy, aware and in touch with its users.
The lecture is part of the AA School’s ongoing programme of FREE talks, exhibitions and events enabling all those interested in architecture and the built environment to explore these subjects with the globe’s brightest thinkers and foremost practitioners.
Jeremy Rifkin’s new book The Third Industrial Revolution; How Lateral Power is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World, is published on 3 November 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan priced at £16.99.
- END -
Public Booking information
- Tickets are free. Tickets to the lecture in the AA School must be booked in advance. Tickets to the lecture and spectacle outside School do not need to be booked.
- Closest tube is Tottenham Court Road.
- AA School, 36 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3ES, Telephone: 020 7887 4114
Press information and images
AA School and Press Tickets to the event: Kallaway PR
Palagrave – book enquires
Praise for Jeremy Rifkin’s ideas and book
“Rifkin connects the two defining technologies of the 21st Century — the Internet and renewable energies — giving us a powerful new economic vision for the future. As we look to regrow the economy, generate millions of jobs, and create a sustainable future for our children, the Third Industrial Revolution offers an indispensable roadmap.” - Arianna Huffington—President and Editor-in-Chief of The Huffington Post Media Group
“Mr. Rifkin clearly outlines the challenges facing our global community, and creates a vision for business leaders, government and citizens.”- John Chambers—Chairman and CEO, Cisco
“The creative thinking of Jeremy Rifkin has been inspiring policy makers and citizens alike. This book shows the key role renewables and modern technologies can play in our transition to a low-carbon economy.” - José Manuel Barroso—President of the European Commission
“This is a remarkable piece of work from one of the foremost thinkers of our time…Rifkin has come up with a visionary and innovative economic development model that ensures the sustainability of our natural resources and ecosystems.” - Rajendra Pachauri—Chairman, United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
“A brilliant new economic paradigm to guide the human journey in the 21st century. Jeremy Rifkin’s comprehensive Third Industrial Revolution vision, which is the centerpiece of Rome’s long-term economic development plan, provides a blueprint for every city in the world to create a sustainable and prosperous society.” - Gianni Alemanno—Mayor of Rome
“More than thought provoking… a call for action to policy makers and business leaders to embrace the opportunity of a society and economy driven by sustainable innovation and powered by renewable and distributed energy.” - Rudy Provoost—CEO, Philips Lighting
“Impeccably argued…a compelling and cogent argument to overhaul our society and economy in favor of a distributed and collaborative model.” - Publishers Weekly
'With the European Union already on board, this is a big idea with backbone.' - Nature
Milestones in the Emerging Third Industrial Revolution Paradigm
- In May 2007, the European Parliament issued a formal written declaration endorsing Jeremy Rifkin’s Third Industrial Revolution (TIR) vision as the long-term economic road map for the European Union. The Third Industrial Revolution is now being implemented by the various agencies within the European Commission as well as in the member states.
- On October 24th, 2008 Mr. Rifkin founded the Third Industrial Revolution Global CEO Business Roundtable, comprised of 100 of the world’s leading renewable energy companies, construction companies, architectural firms, real estate companies, IT companies, power and utility companies, and transport and logistics companies. Mr. Rifkin’s global economic development team is the largest of its kind in the world and is working with cities, regions, and national governments to develop master plans to transition their economies into post- carbon Third Industrial Revolution infrastructures. Between 2009 and 2011, Mr. Rifkin’s group prepared master plans for San Antonio, Texas, The Principality of Monaco, Rome, Italy, and the Province of Utrecht in The Netherlands.
- On May 24th, 2011, Mr. Rifkin presented the five-pillar TIR economic plan in an opening address at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) fiftieth anniversary conference in Paris, which was attended by heads of state and ministers from the thirty-four participating member nations. The presentation accompanied the rollout of an OECD green growth economic plan which will serve as a template to begin preparing the nations of the world for a post carbon industrial future.
- On September 20th, Jeremy Rifkin joined German Chancellor Angela Merkel, her economic advisor, and environmental minister at a public conference in Berlin to discuss the establishment of a Third Industrial Revolution economic plan. Germany has been leading the nations of the world in championing the new economic narrative.
- In November 2011, Mr. Rifkin will give the opening keynote address at the biennial General Assembly of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) on ushering in the new Third Industrial Revolution economic development plan, with particular emphasis on the need to establish the TIR infrastructure in the developing world.
- In December of 2011 the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) —the umbrella organization representing 83,000 companies from regional chambers of commerce across India— and The Office of Jeremy Rifkin will make public a Third Industrial Revolution economic plan that can help position the Indian business community to lead the emerging nations into the new economic era.
About Jeremy Rifkin (http://www.foet.org)
Jeremy Rifkin is president of the Foundation on Economic Trends and the author of seventeen bestselling books on the impact of scientific and technological changes on the economy, the workforce, society, and the environment. His books have been translated into more than thirty languages and are used in hundreds of universities, corporations and government agencies around the world. His most recent books include The Hydrogen Economy, The European Dream, The End of Work, The Age of Access, andThe Biotech Century.
Jeremy Rifkin has been an advisor to the European Union for the past decade. Mr. Rifkin advised the government of Spain during its presidency of the European Union (January 1st – June 30, 2010). Mr. Rifkin also served as an adviser to President Nicolas Sarkozy of France, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, Prime Minister Jose Socrates of Portugal, and Prime Minister Janez Janša of Slovenia, during their respective European Council Presidencies, on issues related to the economy, climate change, and energy security. He currently advises the European Commission, the European Parliament, and several EU heads of state, including Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany and Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez.
Mr. Rifkin is the principle architect of the European Union's Third Industrial Revolution long-term economic sustainability plan to address the triple challenge of the global economic crisis, energy security, and climate change. The Third Industrial Revolution was formally endorsed by the European Parliament in 2007 and is now being implemented by various agencies within the European Commission as well as in the 27 member-states.
Mr. Rifkin is also the founder and chairperson of the Third Industrial Revolution Global CEO Business Roundtable, comprised of 100 of the world's leading renewable energy companies, construction companies, architectural firms, real estate companies, IT companies, power and utility companies, and transport and logistics companies. Mr. Rifkin's global economic development team is the largest of its kind in the world and is working with cities, regions, and national governments to develop master plans to transition their economies into post-carbon Third Industrial Revolution infrastructures.
Since 1994, Mr. Rifkin has been a senior lecturer at the Wharton School's Executive Education Program at the University of Pennsylvania — the world's #1 ranked business school— where he instructs CEOs and senior management on transitioning their business operations into sustainable Third Industrial Revolution economies.
Mr. Rifkin's monthly column on global issues appears in many of the world's leading newspapers and magazines, including The Los Angeles Times in the United States, The Guardian in the U.K., Die Süddeutsche Zeitung andHandelsblatt in Germany, Le Soir and Knack in Belgium,L'Espresso in Italy, El Mundo and El País in Spain,Kathimerini in Greece, Informatíon in Denmark, De Volkskrant in the Netherlands, Hospodárské Noviny in the Czech Republic, Wort in Luxembourg, Eesti Päevaleht in Estonia, Trud in Bulgaria, Clarín in Argentina, and Al-Ittihadin the U.A.E.
Rifkin has been influential in shaping public policy in the United States and around the world. He has testified before numerous congressional committees and has had consistent success in litigation to ensure responsible government policies on a variety of environmental, scientific and technology related issues.
He has been a frequent guest on numerous television programs, including Face the Nation, The Lehrer News Hour, 20/20, Larry King Live, Today, and Good Morning America. The National Journal named Rifkin as one of 150 people in the U.S. that have the most influence in shaping federal government policy.
Mr. Rifkin holds a degree in economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, and a degree in international affairs from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. Rifkin speaks frequently before government, business, labor and civic forums. He has lectured at hundreds of the world's leading corporations as well as more than 200 universities in some 30 countries in the past 30 years.
Mr. Rifkin is the founder and president of The Foundation on Economic Trends (www.foet.org) in Bethesda, MD. The Foundation examines the economic, environmental, social and cultural impacts of new technologies introduced into the global economy.
About the Architectural Association School of Architecture
The AA School is the world’s most renowned international and influential school of architecture. Since 1847, the AA has pioneered a belief in architecture as a profession, culture and a unique form of human enquiry. The School has for decades been home to students and teachers who have gone on to become worldwide leaders of architectural and design practice and thinking. AA School alumni include Zaha Hadid, Rem Koolhaas, Lord Rogers, Will Alsop, Cedric Price and many others. Through its unique, year-long, unit based system of teaching, direct intervention in cities and its intensively collaborative team based approach to learning, the School brings together disconnected worlds, fresh ideas and inspiring insights. The AA School is celebrated worldwide as an imaginative setting for architectural culture.
AA School website: http://www.aaschool.ac.uk
"AA Green New Deal" Projection Credits:
School / Unit: AA Diploma Unit 18
Voice: Jeremy Rifkin
Enric Ruiz Geli
Iker Mugarra Flores
Amir Atta Yousefi
Taylor Ming Dong Zhou
- END TO ALL -